Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Savta Dotty's Treasure House (1)

Welcome to Savta Dotty's Treasure House! It is chock full of things you have never seen before, and probably never even heard of!

For example, an authentic Skate Key, circa 1944. Wow! Is this cool or what?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Long before there were skateboards and inline skates that look like ice skates, and metal scooters, we used to have roller skates with ball bearings, for sidewalks only. They were four-wheel metal platforms that we attached to our shoes. No sneakers, platforms, flipflops, just sturdy oxfords or saddle shoes. We used a skate key to tighten the skates so they didn't fall off the shoes, although there were also straps. The keys were either worn on a string or shoelace around one's neck or kept in a pocket.

How many people do you know who still have their skate keys?

That's why her Skate Key is one of Savta Dotty's Treasures.

Ya'll come back real soon to see more Treasures!

5 comments:

Ofer said...

God, you sure make me laugh sometimes. I seem to remember having one of these "devices" when I was a kid, but never really figured out the whole skating thing...

SavtaDotty said...

Ofer: now that you've figured out the "driving thing," maybe it's time to go back to skating?

SavtaDotty said...

Elswhere and Prowesslessnesslessness were born when we lived on West End Avenue in the late 1960's. I used to push them in their strollers in Riverside Park. The wind in the winter was memorable, walking (or slipping) down the side streets. One day a the sandbox, a little boy we knew boasted, "I am the King of the Whole Wide World," and my dear elswhere retaliated righteously with, "And I am West End Avenue!"

Lioness said...

I don't know why my comment didn't stick, I must have done something wrong. Just came in to thank you, you are helping me so much, so very much. Az todah, mi kol halev.

elswhere said...

I once got knocked over by the West End Avenue Wind when I was 7 or 8 years old! We were coming around a corner and it literally blew me right down.