Wednesday, December 21, 2005

It's Raining, Not Pouring

The last time I blogged about rain, it was pouring. Today it's just intermittently drizzling, but it's grey and chilly, and I've made soup. I wish I could serve some to my friends in New York City who are struggling today to commute without subways or buses (food is love, doncha know?). I'm reading a good book, and if I had a fireplace, I'd curl up in front of the fire. A working fireplace in Israel is at least as rare and luxurious as it is in a Manhattan apartment. Along with everyone who lives in an Israeli top-floor apartment, I'm just hoping the roof won't leak this year. The long-awaited building repairs have been completed, and they included wrapping the roof in some impressively modern rug-like state-of-the-art waterproof stuff. It cost enough to keep us seriously dry. I heard on the radio that Israel's only ski mountain, Mt. Hermon, may get snow later this week. (Actually, I prefer this less factual, more romantic description of Mt. Hermon) A white Chanukah!

5 comments:

TLP said...

Soup and a book to read. Who could ask for more? Except an immersion blender of course.

Liza said...

How a bit a big furry dog curled up at your feet? Nothing like it in the Winter!

SavtaDotty said...

Yes! An immersion blender and a dog are all that's missing. Wait a minute...I have a dog! (She's not big, but she does curl up at my feet. On the sofa. Any bigger and there wouldn't be room for both of us.) That leaves only the blender to wish for. 220volts. I think I'll put it on my Amazon wish list.

Julie said...

Oh I would so happily go into the forest with the chainsaw, etc., if we only had a fireplace.

Anonymous said...

and here in nyc, the strike is over, the cold disappeared, and it is an unseasonable 50 degrees. what are we to think?

generally, support for the transit workers seemed to hold through the first 2 days, wearing down with the third. we are seeing the future: rich men living in bubbles decide our fate; periodic efforts by the underground--this time literal--to remind us about democracy, equality.

and i keep knitting subversively and otherwise. loved the blue sweater! peace for 2006, naomi