Saturday, September 30, 2006

Shabbat at the Dascha

Things have progressed, regressed, and digressed here at the dascha.

Progress:
1. I located the correct hot water switch and now there is hot water everywhere! Apparently this house has three switches that look like Israeli water-heater switches and I had tried only two of them...the two that apparently do nothing. Although you never know...maybe they do something I haven't yet discovered. Scarey.

2. The 14-year-old knows how to make sushi! And she made it for dinner!

3. I've taught both girls how to knit. The 14-year-old is already off and running on a hat of her own design (!) The 9-year old was about four inches into her practice project when she asked me, "What am I making here?" It was such a startlingly sensible question that I quickly made up an answer: "You are making a patch. When it's finished you can decide whether you want it to be the patch for a scarf or the patch for a blanket. And then you can make more patches and put them together." She scampered away quite satisfied.

Regression:
I attempted to barbecue some hamburgers but they threatened to disintegrate and had to be finished up on the frying pan.

Digression (actually, it was a Diversion, but that doesn't scan...poetic license):
Noorster came to visit! Idan and Tif came to visit!

Depression:
Noorster, Idan, and Tif went home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like some incredible weekend! How nice of you to teach them how to knit.
I was wondering if I'd have the patience to spend time with teenagers! I spent all my life with teenagers (as a teacher) and find it so good not being around them any longer ;)

nominally challenged said...

Sounds fun!
Great idea to teach them to knit!

And when is Ms. 14 going to make sushi for us in TLV? :)

SavtaDotty said...

Claude, if you were a teacher of teenagers, you have definitely earned the right to a permanent vacation. I'd post pictures, but I don't have my uploading-cable with me.

SavtaDotty said...

Nominally - The knitting was their idea! I'll Ms. 14 to stay over after one of her Friday morning shopping-on-Sheinkin expeditions for the purpose of making sushi for us. A soup-and sushi salon!