Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Biggest Crime in Israel

I have the feeling that the biggest crime in Israel at the moment is spending the holidays alone. God forbid! Everyone seems to be in a pre-holiday frenzy at least as hectic as I remember the pre-Christmas period in the old country. I am preparing a relatively small feast and reflecting a bit on the happenings of the past year. Of course I do exaggerate: there are plenty of non-Jews among us, but they too must be affected by the super-bustling atmosphere. When I happen to take a bus at rush hour I see many Africans and Philippinos (sp?) and hear a variety of non-Hebrew conversations, reminding me that the world is much larger than our little corner, and everyone has a story. Maybe the biggest crime in Israel (and anywhere) is not listening to anyone else's story.

Nevertheless,

Happy New Year everyone: I wish you health, happiness, prosperity, and good listening!

2 comments:

Fred said...

Back at ya'. Happy New Year!

Udge said...

Ketiva ve-chatima tovah, dear Savtadotty.