Tuesday, November 11, 2008

From Sea to Shining Sea

From English Bay in Vancouver to the East River in New York City would be more accurate. I arrived in New York City this morning, just in time to avoid the closure of Fifth Avenue for the Veterans' Day Parade, but not in time to avoid heavy traffic in all directions. If I hadn't had baggage I would have taken the subway and arrived at my best friend's apartment much sooner. Never mind. From the taxi window I got to see buildings from my childhood (Penn Station, Carnegie Hall), the building where I worked and met the father of my children (Time-Life Building), the Plaza Hotel where we spent our wedding night, and because of the hour (8:30 AM), I got to see New Yorkers hustling to work on the coldest day of my month-long trip (36 degrees Farenheit). The city seems to have managed quite well without me living in it lo these 20 years.

The scale of the place requires me to ramp up my energy level, but jet lag and the effects of a red-eye require me to take a nap. Oh the conflict (Yawn)!

2 comments:

Tamar Orvell said...

Be sure to squeeze in an Apple Store visit while you are in the Big A. Branches are all over town. Fun, fun, fun.

SavtaDotty said...

Tamar, It's on my to-do list, thanks. I can walk to at least one from where I'm staying!