Thursday, August 10, 2006

Nothing Good to Say

One of my favorite songs from a musical is "Dont Nobody Bring Me No Bad News" from The Wiz. It represents my own personal bubble-philosophy of keeping going through thick and thin, although not to the point of complete, utter, and total self-delusion and self-involvement. Unless I can do something about the badness, which includes sympathetic listening when a friend or relative is having personal problems and needs to talk about them, I try to focus my energies on keeping out of trouble. That may seem like a puny goal, but you don't know me - it really is a fulltime job!

So when my country is in the midst of a war, my whole coping mechanism needs readjustment. You already know what I'm doing about it: packing my emergency kit and drinking Hezbollitas, but is there any way for me to come up with an informed opinion (uninformed opinions being available already-made in the mainstream media and most political blogs)? Even with my "Vas You Dere Charlie?" approach, I'm not going to Lebanon myself to see what's going on there and if I did, how could I possibly interpret what I saw? With so much disinformation, mixed messages, it's really hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Even trained journalists are failing me.

All of this induced such a helpless feeling that I caved and started listening to the Israel Broadcasting News English edition, because at least it is short. A small dose of depressing news - funeral announcements of our soldiers, delivered by a sad and tired-sounding reader - followed by several hours of busywork is the order of my day.

First I think I'll listen to some other songs from The Wiz.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worry for you. I thought I was the only one left on Earth that remembered the Wiz. I too loved Dont Nobody Bring Me No Bad News, althopugh the only song that I know by heart is Home.
I hope you stay safe and well and the madness everywhere calms.
What I do not understand most of all is why this tragedy isnt being laid where it most belongs, at Bush's feet.

SavtaDotty said...

The fact is, I don't think blaming Bush, or anyone else for that matter, would save a single life at this point. But I'm very glad you loved The Wiz!

Chancy said...

Just to let you know I am thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for peace your way.

Hugs

Chancy

Anonymous said...

I wish there was something I could say.

goldenlucyd said...

I'm also thinking of you and your extended family there. Will this ever end?

SavtaDotty said...

John - I need ruby slippers!

Chancy, PPB, GoldenLucyd, Bihari - Thank you so much. I'm afraid this is just a breather...there's probably worse to come. I wish I knew how we could stop it. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, Savtadotty, that's about all I can do, but hope it sends good vibes.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm here via Maria's blog.
The Blame Bush mentality is getting to be ridiculous. I think there are those who would blame him if they stubbed their toe.
I am so sorry for all that Israel has faced and is facing. It is terrible to know there are those in our world whose goal is to destroy Israel and its people.
I wish you good things and peace in the near future.

The Wiz is terrific! I had a tape of all the songs when I was in high school and I memorized them.

SavtaDotty said...

Claude - I've been hearing lots of French-speaking tourists in my neighborhood. Hint, hint.

Jamie Dawn - Welcome. I sometimes think that Israel is the only sane place on earth...it's nice to know that some Americans do understand. Especiaaly when they know the words to songs from The Wiz!