Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Family History Project


Paul , July 25, 1943
Originally uploaded by savtadotty
I've almost completed the transcribing of my brother's letters home from his tour of duty in the Navy during WW II. In one of the early letters, from boot camp at Great Lakes Naval Training Station, he refers to photos he had the camp photographer take. I realized that in my vast stash of family photos I had the one he was referring to. Here it is, in the same patriotic frame Mom got for it. He was 17 years old at the time.

Now I have only 2,867,943,671 more loose ends to tie up and I'll be finished.

7 comments:

jo(e) said...

Oh, he looks soooo young!

Well, come to think of it, seventeen *is* young.

hilary + wood said...

woo hoo! great job! its nice that you did this.

SavtaDotty said...

jo(e) - I went away to college at 16, and I think I was too young even for that protected environment. I guess guys that young seek adventure and feel immortal.

Hil - Thanks. I enjoyed doing it, remembering funny things like the map on our dining room wall with a pin that we moved across the Pacific to track Paul, and watching Mom bake stuff to send in those packages. (She always baked some for us at the same time.)

Anonymous said...

Really wonderful.
Thanks for sharing.
I hope your health continues
to improve.

Are you back to making soup for
the soup salon?
- Shari

Anonymous said...

The transcription must be quite a lot of work, but worth every minute of it.
Thanks for sharing this lovely photo.

SavtaDotty said...

Shari - Yes, I am back to making soup every week for the Soup Salon. Thank you for reading!

Claude - I found the transcribing completely absorbing and I'm sorry it's almost done!

Lioness said...

I was going to say that those were sad times, when children fought wars - but really, what has changed?

He looks adorable, transcribing his letters must have been tremendously bittersweet.