Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Durban II

I was just watching a little bit of Ahmadinejad's rant at the Durban II conference, and thinking about myself as a racist, occupier, oppressor, and all those other bad things he said about Israel (I take things personally). It triggered a long-ago memory from a workshop I once attended at Temple Emeth in Teaneck, NJ, circa 1978. We were asked to rank the following aspects of our individual identity in order of their importance to us: American, Jew, woman/man, wife/husband, mother/father, daughter/son, and possibly a few others that I've forgotten. I do remember, however, that nowhere on the list was racist, occupier, or oppressor. I guess he's hoping if you call someone a name loud and often enough, it will stick - not to the target, but to the other name-callers in the crowd.

His list should include ranter and troublemaker.

1 comment:

Fred said...

I hope he's gone during the next election cycle, but I'm not too sure anything will really change. We can only hope.