Wednesday, May 21, 2008

City Guide Tel Aviv 2008


City Guide Tel Aviv 2008
Originally uploaded by savtadotty
The past couple of weeks have been an enchanted time in Tel Aviv: fantastic balmy spring weather day after day, hordes of tourists visiting, Birthright tour buses parked all over my neighborhood, stirring birthday programming in the air, on the ground, and in the media, and, to top it off, a barrage of interesting local events. Imagine having to choose between Al Gore, Tom Stoppard, and the book party for this year's edition of City Guide Tel Aviv! Al and Tom were at Tel Aviv University, and the book party was at Beit Kastiel, an amazing party venue disguised as an upscale furniture showroom in the Florentine neighborhood. I decided to go for the glamor, not to mention the champagne and caviar, especially as lots of local celebrities were there. Being an ignoramus about local happening culture I didn't recognize anyone except my own friends, including Lisa Goldman, who wrote the text in both last year's and this year's editions of the book, and The Noorster, who did the proofreading. Because Lisa was surrounded by fans and paparazi, I decided that proofreaders of English, especially those whose mother tongue is not English (!), deserve some celebrity too, so I asked The Noorster autograph my copy.

And I walked home, which I couldn't have done from the University.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, thank you!

(This proofreader whose mother tongue is not English would like to point out that the correct spelling is "paparazzi" - sorry, couldn't help it!)

j-jen said...

And to make things even more interesting, Amy's teen-aged daughter was one of the recipients of the Dan David Award at TAU with Al Gore and Tom Stoppard! :)

http://amysamin.blogspot.com/2008/05/kvelling.html

Fred said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous time!

Anonymous said...

I can't stop thinking about the caviar! I think I'm going to have to make a purchase...

Lirun said...

i was there too :)

SavtaDotty said...

Lirun, I wish I'd known you were there, but I don't know what you look like. Wasn't it a great party venue?