Sunday, November 27, 2005

Piangi, Piangi: Zefirelli's Traviata gives me tears of joy (and a lotta links)

So many associations with grand opera, all good:

Mom and Dad's courting.

Mom and Dad going out to the Met for subscription Friday night, with Mom all dressed up in a floor-length skirt, and my big brother Googleman babysitting me (heaven!).

Memorizing the Carmen libretto for high school French class, and going to a performance at the Met with my beloved French teacher.

Studying operas at college, with Professor Donald J. Grout, who subsequently wrote a definitive book on the subject.

Taking Mom to see her all-time favorite opera at the Met, Die Rosenkavelier, for what we both knew would be the last time, in December 1979.

Receiving a piece of the original 39th Street New York Metropolitan Opera House (1883) as a gift, purchased from an urban archaeologist after the new Lincoln Center Met was built (1966).


Living within walking distance of the gorgeous Tel Aviv Opera house.

And now, the joy of having seen and heard the delicious performance of La Traviata, Franco Zefirelli's production, with a great soprano, Elena Mosuc, performing the role of Violetta!

Followed today by the joy of meeting, in person, the one and only Noorster!

3 comments:

Fred said...

Great memories. Personally, I'm not one for the opera, so it's all Greek to me. Maybe if I went once, I might learn to like it?

SavtaDotty said...

Fred - I recommend Carmen as a first, because the melodies are familiar and the story is dramatic. However, with all operas, familiarity breeds appreciation (or even love), not contempt.

Anonymous said...

I love Traviata the best! Especially the first half.