Saturday, April 18, 2009

"Israel is a country held together by argument"

David Brooks goes on to add "Public culture is one long cacophony of criticism."

My impression of the New York Times is that its editorial policy towards Israel has been less than sympathetic over the last several years, "several" being since the death of Yitzhak Rabin in 1995. Regardless of whether or not you agree, yesterday's op-ed piece by David Brooks (I think a subscription is required to view the article) was a refreshing departure. Of course many of Brooks's commenters immediately pounced on him for ignoring the Palestinians' plight, as though his short bit of cultural appraisal was intended as a poitical statement. As soon as I read the comments I realized that, while Israel may be held together by passionate argument, it sucks everyone else into argument too. If it makes you feel worn out, I recommend my personal survival strategy of afternoon naps, prozac, and a dog.

5 comments:

Fred said...

Oh, I like your survival strategy. Although at this point, I don't need the prozac. So, I'll substitute wine. Or, can I do both? :)

SavtaDotty said...

Fred, you can do both wine and prozac, if you don't ask your doctor. Guess how I know?

Levant Lady said...

Hey Savta,
I read the article and thought "I used to feel that way about Israelis (the arguing about everything), but now I just don't notice."
I thought maybe Israelis have gotten better manners over the past 20 years. But now I'm afraid that maybe I've lived here too long and am so used to it that I've become one of them! Is it because I don't have a dog or take Prozac? Quick, special delivery!

SavtaDotty said...

Shari, if you've been here 20 years, you've become one of them - or, more accurately, one of US!

Judy said...

I read his piece too. His experience of visits to Israel is pretty different from mine. I've had one or two hilarious experiences of Israeli rudeness at bus-stops, but otherwise, I haven't. I've had mainly good experiences. And no youth yobs and drivers giving you the sort of menace/attitude you can regularly encounter in London.